OK, so the frame and engine came together and the first thing to do was make the engine mounts to mount the engine and gearbox in the frame.
A nifty trick I used to get the holes lined up perfectly was once the plates had been rough cut, I glued them together with Araldite. I then cut them out accurately and drilled the holes with my pillar drill. When everything was done, I simply heated the plates with a blow torch and they fell apart. A little polish and the were ready to go in.
I needed to start making it look like a trials bike. I spoke to Gerry Minshall about the yokes, wheels etc. Gerry was fantastic, his attention to detail is second to none. I explained to Gerry that I wanted to get rid of the original ball and cup headset bearings and ideally go for needle rollers. Gerry, well I don’t know quite how he managed it but he made new cups and successfully converted the headset tube and fitted needle rollers. It looks fantastic, works a treat and needed no cutting or welding.
In order to get the wheels in and lined up I needed to Purchase the forks and rear shocks. I had Magicals on my Matchless but didn’t think they worked well enough to warrant the expensive price. I admired the look, function, simplicity and price of Rockshocks, so gave Gary Fleckney a call who had a set sent straight to Gerry within a couple of days. Forks came directly from REH. I am really happy with both front and rear suspension. It performs really well and I can recommend them to anybody.
The bike was starting to come together. I Purchased a Burman GB52 gearbox shell off ebay and bought new gears and a NEB clutch from Mick Ash. I think the trickiest part of the build was trying to get the pulley and belt all lined up and installed.